Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Special interview... Hank The Cat

Today dear readers I have a priviledge of publishing a very special interview with Hank The Cat from USA. Hank is running for United States Senate and spared a small moment to answer my questions.
Before I go any further, here you can find a link to Hank's website.

Here you can find the whole interview. I would like to thank Hank a lot for sparing a moment to answer my questions. If I was eligible to vote, I know for sure who would get my vote in this election!

1) What are Your opinions about homeless animals and what would You do to improve the situation ? I know there are many of those who cannot talk and have no voice walking on the streets alone, not having a home to go to and no human to pamper them.

Since I lived my first 5 weeks of life on the hard streets without a home, I know how difficult it can be. Words cannot express how rough it can be, not knowing where your next meal will come from (at the time I was still nursing of course, but then where would my mom's next meal come from?), not to mention living without any security from predators, let alone not having access to any sort of government program for the poor. When we were finally picked up, we thought things were looking up - until we found ourselves in a kill shelter, with countless others. My mom, four other siblings and I were all hours away from execution when we were rescued by Animal Allies, a local animal rescue group. We were put up in foster homes, and I was lucky enough to go into a foster home that decided to keep me and raise me as their own. Because of this experience, I will fight tirelessly to make sure all homeless cats have a voice when elected to Congress, and the major cornerstone of my campaign is to help the no-kill animal rescue groups who continue to fight so hard for our cause. The best way to improve this situation is by what I'm doing currently - donating all campaign funds to these groups to help improve the chances of rescue and forever homes for many struggling kitties out there today.

2) Do You think the current system for penalties in crimes committed against animals are enough or would the system need to be rewamped ? Since in many Europian countries (incl. "civilized" countries like Finland) torturing a cat to death gives the person only pat on their head and a minor fee to pay.

We all know the current political system is broken - but it is also the case with the judicial system as well. I'm not as well versed in the European courts, and I'll fully admit that instead of trying to fake my way through it. But absolutely, the courts need revamping in regards to penalties given to those who torture or hurt animals. 

3) What is Your opinion about breed cats versus housecats ? Many unfortunately seem to think even nowadays that a normal housecat is a lot less than a breed cat with their fancy titles and pedigrees. Do you think all of us should have equal rights ?

Basic kitty rights should not be dependant on your biological purity, and I think all humans will gladly agree that when it was tried in the mid-20th century with them, things didn't go so well. Many people actually think I may be a purebred Maine Coon, but I am just a rescue from the streets who is mostly Maine Coon, plain and simple. Just as is the case with dogs, I think you'll find a large group of owners who agree that having a "mutt" is far more entertaining, interesting, and fun as the breeds intertwine and you're never sure of which traits will show up while you raise them.  
  
4) How do You feel about catshows and housecats in them ?

Catshows are a tough, complex issues, at least in the states. On the one hand, it promotes the purebred, extravagant, aloof cat that we all know is a negative stereotype against cats everywhere. On the other hand, many no-kill rescue groups have booths at these shows, and it's a great place for them to get the word out about them, and even adopt out cats to good, loving homes. Sadly, this year in Northern Virginia they have cancelled the annual cat show that usually runs in the fall. As far as housecats in the show, again I feel it is morally unjust to suggest lesser rights simply because of a cat's genetics.

5) How have humans reacted after seeing you running for Senate ? Do they feel it as a joke or do they take You as a serious opponent (as they should!!) ?

I cannot begin to express how supportive the humans have been toward my campaign. A few see it as a joke, but the vast majority understand how broken our political system is here in the US, and know how badly we need a drastic change from the standard human campaign. What has really surprised and humbled us at campaign headquarters is the outpouring from around the world - Brazil, Russia, Saudi Arabia, New Zealand, really, too many countries to list! This proves without a doubt to me that our campaign is necessary at this time in our history, and erases any doubts I had previously with regards as to 'how far we'd go' - we are in this race to win, and we will, come November!

6) We, The Cats, have been worshipped as gods in times of ancient Egypt. What you think went wrong when we were dropped from our rightful place to this we are today, many of us struggling for food in the streets, or waiting the oneway ticket to the rainbowbridge in shelters ?

We became complacent. We expected that others would rise up and defend our rights, that surely no one with any sympathy towards our race would allow us to be put down for simply existing. It is our own damn faults for allowing this to happen, and now we must crawl back up again, but I am certain we have the knowledge, the know-how, and the perseverance to do so. And I hope all humans take a lesson from this situation - do not simply expect to have your rights protected and upheld by others - each of us needs to fight for our freedoms, and the only way we can change our broken political systems around the world is by confronting them, and replacing them with true leaders.

7) What is Your message to all the cats in this world ?

Our time is Meow.

Good luck Hank! We will be following up closely on Your success story and I am sure it will inspire many of our feline friends across the globe!

No comments: